Catholic Arabs



MAYBE it's just me, but I have always thought that all Arabs are Muslims, practicing only the Islamic religion, all of them. I have always thought that all who live in these Arab countries are somehow "born" or "sworn" to practice only Islam. How wrong I was. (Duh!)

I owe this stereotyping to the simple fact that I have very limited exposure to Arabs. Sure, I've been to the US, some countries in Europe, and India. I have worked face-to-face with Americans, Europeans, Indians and Chinese over the years. However, I haven't really interacted much or worked with Arabs before. Muslims yes, Arabs no.

So what brought on this realization? Last week, I was hurrying to catch the 12 NN mass at St. Mary's Catholic Church here in Dubai thinking that all 12 NN masses are English masses. Imagine my surprise when I arrived (late because this mass apparently started at 11:30 AM) and was seeing Arabic characters projected on the big screen. The churchgoers were responding in unison in something that sounded a lot like Arabic (I am still trying to familiarize myself with the language, still feels truly alien).

I eased myself into the church and craned my neck towards the altar. Yup, it was a Catholic priest indeed, wearing his trademark sutana, seeming to be in the middle of the homily. Then the mass went through the all too familiar ceremonies -- the offering, the collection, the Liturgy of the Eucharist, the Communion, and the final blessing -- all in the vaguely familiar but still foreign Arabic language. Of course, the projector screen continually showed those flowing Arabic script aligned to the right.

It took a while to sink in really. They were Catholic Arabs right there! It was an undeniably and utterly enlightening experience, a true TIL (Today I learned) moment for me. As the mass ended, I just stood there at the back taking it all in and knowing I have this goofy but awestruck look on my face as these fair-complexioned and sharp-featured Arabs pass me by on their way out. (The next mass was in Tagalog, so I stayed for that one.)

Most of you probably already know about this. Obviously, I didn't. You truly learn something new everyday. I feel a little less stupid now.

By the way, Friday is the holy day for Muslims. Weekend starts on Friday, not Saturday like in most countries. Most people have dayoffs on Fridays, hence the hourly Catholic masses on Fridays. Some enjoy Fridays and Saturdays off. Work week starts Sunday and ends Thursday. Thursday nights, not Friday nights, are party nights. And people here don't have the Monday blues. Well, maybe they do, they just feel the Monday blues on Sunday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing with a fountain

I hate goodbyes