French fries: friend or foe?


Ever since I can remember, I have always loved (worshipped, more like) French fries. This greasy, calorie-loaded appetizer has become my go-to food, my comfort food, when times get a little too much to handle. (French fries and bacon, actually, but bacon deserves a special post of its own.)

During my college days some x years ago, I would find myself walking to a McDonald's outlet at nearby Ayala Center Cebu all by my lonesome self. I wasn't hungry, no. I was simply craving for some of their crispy, salty French fries, and would order the largest one available.

Then, Potato Corner opened shop at the same mall. They have French fries in all flavors -- cheese, barbecue, sour cream, chili barbecue, wasabi, and more. They also sell them in various sizes -- from those small pouches to quarter-of-a-kilo tumblers. To a French fries addict lover like me, I have found my own piece of heaven.

groupsmore.com

And apparently, Yaku and Tating did, too. I wonder if I may have passed on the "gene" to them. When it was just me devouring this greasy goodness, I didn't care so much about its nutritional content or lack thereof. Now that my young ones are just as gaga over French fries, I knew then I had to take a closer look.

French fries, as we all know, is high in bad fats, bad carbohydrates, bad calories, bad salt...bad anything. The only good thing about it is probably its mouthwatering taste. Yes, it sounds like a sumptuous forbidden fruit. Beer seems to have more benefits that French fries!

In all its artery-clogging glory, French fries increases the risk of heart diseases, diabetes, obesity, kidney diseases, and stroke. And as with every food fried over 365 degrees Fahrenheit, French fries contains acrylamide, a chemical that causes cancer. *gulp*

food.com

I guess we better start working on curbing this addiction. No more snack times at Potato Corner. No more large plate orders of Bacon Cheesy Fries or Chili Cheese Fries at Dessert Factory. No more fighting for super crunchy Army Navy Freedom fries. No more simple-but-satisfying fries at McDonald's, Jollibee, KFC, or Orange Brutus. (I wonder if I should include Shakey's mojos in this list?) *bawls*

Or maybe not totally. I don't think I can ever live without French fries. While it is obviously a foe, there were loads of times in my past when a mini bucket of crispy French fries smothered in liquid cheese and sprinkled with bacon bits was my dearest and only friend.  I can't throw all that away, can I? Can you?

We'll still have our French fries indulgence every now and then. Anything in moderation, folks. Anything in moderation.

YAKU SAYS:
"Oh no! Does it really cause cancer, Ma? But I want to eat French fries. They're my favorite!"

TATING SAYS:
"As in we can't eat French fries forever? Maybe it's okay if we only eat once a month. Please..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing with a fountain

I hate goodbyes