Ramadan Mubarak!


YESTERDAY marked the start of the month-long Ramadan. To my Muslim brothers and sisters around the world who are celebrating this very important month, Ramadan Mubarak!

It was my first time to spend Ramadan in a predominantly Muslim country, and it was quite an interesting experience. Restaurants were closed for most of the day. Roads were mainly quiet in the mornings. And of course, you don't see people taking a drink or chewing on a bite anywhere. Non-Muslims have to refrain from eating and drinking in public as a sign of respect to our Muslim friends.

Observing Ramadan timings, we got off work early. For one who walks home from the office, it was still a little too hot outside for me. So I just took it real slow and decided to get some cool air at the nearby Deira City Center. At 4 pm, the restaurants and coffee shops were mostly closed for dining patrons, offering only takeaways. A lot of people were also lugging around shopping bags and pushing carts containing food and drinks. Most of them were probably Muslims buying ingredients to prepare for the iftar later that day.

I tried to go without food for most of the day to see if I can do it, but when the headache crept in past noon, I knew I wouldn't last long. I admire my Muslim brothers and sisters who can endure 15 hours of no food and no water in observance of the holy month. May Allah bless them with peace, love and prosperity.

Once again, Ramadan Mubarak!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing with a fountain

I hate goodbyes